Sunday, June 21, 2009

Inverness

So I'm essentially taking a pause and not blogging about London yet, as there's much to tell and not quite enough energy to do it. The last couple of days have been incredibly busy involving heaps of walking around - my feet are sore! definitely will be investing in a new pair of shoes once I return...

here's just a little something I wrote on a red paper napkin/serviette whilst having dinner tonight. 

Here I sit in Madisons - "a casual dining restaurant" - after visiting with a lady from the bus to Inverness from the airport. This place (Inverness) seems even more fairy tale than parts of England for some reason. Possibly due to the abundance of church spires in such a small area reaching high into the dark grey sky above River Ness and surrounding green hills while sea gulls circle like a Hitchcock movie and a castle sits casually behind like it's no big deal. A castle! Right there!  Fascinating. There are still so many old houses, every other one is must be, and the main streets are lined with picturesque shops with pretty fronts (yum, my soup is so good!) The thing is - Virginia City, Nevada, looks a bit like this on the main strip - but as soon as you step down an alley, or to a back street, you realize it's a facade. Part I realize is that in the Old West it literally was just a cool front while the back of the building was just wood in a boring box shape, quick- whereas here the whole building is pretty stone-but it almost seems to me like it's trying to be a cool tourist spot - Inverness just is a cool tourist spot. But I'm no expert. And I do like Virginia City, and I've only been in Inverness for 5 hours! just some observations.
 River Ness
So tomorrow morning I head off to Thurso via train. That should be a fun train ride hopefully - should be some more gorgeous scenery. I start my prac Tues, so after arriving Monday arvo I've got a little bit of time to get ready for Tues's start. staying with a friend's aunt and uncle for the first 10days, then with her brother (one of the vets) for the last 4. I'm grateful for their hospitality, and praying God would continue to grant me favour with the people I stay with. 
more later...but not sure if I'll have internet in Thurso.



No comments:

Post a Comment