After some more wanderings met A Katy at Morrisons (big grocery store she shops at) and we headed off to West Wycombe, a completely charming, ancient (1700-1800s) with some buildings being so old as to be brick with wood.
I commented to A Katy what it must feel like to be living in a place where if tourists do come by they certainly gawk and observe you and your normal life. And then I immediately followed that with, "well actually I know what that's like - probably highly similar to being a foreign white skin in Indo..."
The old houses had such short doors and small rooms. Some on the main street were shops, someday I’ll have to visit again and look at more of them.
(yes, I realize I'm just standing here, and in a later one, rather than doing anything remotely interesting in the photo, but hey, sometimes one can't quite be as original as one wants)
Yah for beautiful countryside!
One thing I am loving about England is the vast amount of countryside, even immediately off of a city. Just past that person’s house one can see rolling green hills, with comfortable grass. Soft grass. The sort you actually want to go tramping along, and sit down on with a good book, journal, or picnic lunch.
Following our absolutely necessary perusal of the Sweets shop we drove off to Horsley’s Green – where the Wycliffe and SIL centre is. Waay beautiful and fun to see. I always feel at home walking into places like that, even though I don’t know any of them there, I’m a part of it, and they know where I’m from.
We just did a quick walk around and then headed off, via back roads, to Fingest where the Parish church of Saint Bartholomew was located. A church, I might add, built in the 12th century, the tower in early 12th century, the other part slightly later. I can’t even imagine a place that old. Quite cool. I bought a postcard for 25p on the honour system. This is one of the churches that A Katy’s friend is rector of as well, along with the ‘Vicar of Dibley’ church.
Real churches. Pretty cool, even if they are much more traditional than I’m used to. Their friend preaches the gospel, and God was just as alive and real then as He is now. Very cool, God’s amazing faithfulness and love over the centuries. (and now I've used 'cool' 3 times to describe this in the last few sentences. uncool.)
I've been to that center with Rach once, and loved it... I just love the green, and the little roads and old houses and yeah.. the milk bottles! I feel at home in England for some inexplicable reason.
ReplyDeleteThe age of the buildings always boggles my mind too! I went to St Patrick's Church in Dublin and I can't recall the exact dates but they said something along the lines of "the original church was built between 1191 and 1270, then there was a fire and they rebuilt some bits from 1360ish. The kept adding bits, and the newest part here was added in 1870-something." And my brain is going "new? 1800s?! The new part is really old; I can't comprehend 1191!!"
ReplyDelete